- Be careful with the volume of your headphones. Loud sounds can permanently damage hearing.
- This is a good time to figure out what combination of healthy eating and exercise work to keep your body strong and healthy. Eat 3 meals a day – breakfast is important. Eat meals with your family as often as you can. Pick healthy food when eating at school or eating out. Limit sugary drinks.
- If you are having sex consistently use contraceptives such as IUD or birth control pills as well as condoms every time. If you have unsafe sex or a condom breaks emergency contraception is available over the counter without a prescription at pharmacies.
- Healthy relationships are built on respect, concern, and doing things both of you like. Leave a relationship if you see signs of violence or controlling behavior. Remember “No” means “No”.
- Some teens identify as LGBT or have questions about their gender or sexuality. This office is a safe space for you to discuss these issues. 1-866-4-U-TREVOR is a helpful hotline.
ALCOHOL AND DRUGS
- Do not smoke, use tobacco or vape, drink alcohol, use drugs, inhalants, steroids or diet pills. All are harmful to your health. Do not use other people’s prescriptions. Avoid situations where alcohol or drugs are readily available. If you are concerned about your or someone else’s substance use – let us know.
- Everyone in the car needs to always wear a seatbelt. Distracted driving is dangerous – no cell phone use while driving. Do not drive or ride in the car with someone who has been drinking or using drugs. Set up a plan with your parents that if you need a ride home, they will come to pick you up, no questions asked. They would rather have you home safe than not at all.
Acne is common in teens. There are multiple options for treatments. Treatments only work if used regularly.
- If you have clear skin wash once or twice a day with a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil. Use a moisturizer such as Eucerin, Olay of Olay.
- If you have mild acne:
- Wash twice daily with a gentle cleanser with salicylic acid such as Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser.
- Moisturize after cleaning (Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturizer, Neutrogena Oil-Free Facial Acne Moisturizer).
- Wait 15 minutes.
- Apply Differin gel (over the counter) or prescription BenzClin at bedtime.
- Moderate acne:
- Wash face 2x a day with 2.5.% benzoyl peroxide (Acne Free Oil Free Acne Cleanser, or other).
- Moisturize as above.
- Wait 15 minutes.
- Differin gel (over the counter) or prescription BenzClin or tretinoin at night.
If the above measures don’t help let us know. There are other options.
- Domestic Violence Hotline 800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Food Assistance WIC 1-800-WIC-1007 and SNAP www.mass.gov/snap
- CDC Vaccine Page www.cdc.gov/vaccines
- www.healthychildren.org Site by pediatricians about a variety of health topics
- App: Pediatric Symptom MD – a variety of pediatric advice
- Depression/Suicide line: 1-800-870-HOPE
- Quit Smoking line: 1-800-QUIT-NOW